Tuesday, May 03, 2005

My Writing Style

I love to write. There's no question about that. I write almost every day, whether it's for the campus paper, magazine or an assignment for a class I'm taking.

With the amount that I write, I sometimes go back and read my work to determine how I write. I was talking to "the boy" about writing and my writing style today, and thought about it some more while working on my autobiography for women's history.

So, here's the lowdown on the way Caroline writes -

I have a simple, straight-forward direct style. I enjoy reading flowery, eloquent prose, simply because I cannot write it to save my life. I really admire those who can. But I'm really better at writing simple prose, and that is probably an asset in the journalistic world.

I argue well through my writing. It's something I can't do while speaking, but I can while writing. I don't consider myself an opinionated person; I'm in the middle on most issues. When I'm forced to argue one way or I do have an opinion, I'm able to support it and back it up.

While arguing, I can be sarcastic and pushy. I guess that's how I get my point accross.

I do write feature stories well, though. I like the creativity that comes along with it. It's not formulaic and you have enough freedom to write pretty much the way you want to.

The one thing I'm terrible at writing is fiction. I just don't have the imagination to come up with a fascinating plot.

I don't do well when I'm given a limit to how little or how much I must write. When I am given a minimum of what I have to write about something I have almost zero interest in, I dislike it because I'm straining for words to fill up space. This is when I run into my worst enemy and weakness - redundancy.

I hate it when I'm given a maximum word count. If you give me something to write about that I'm somewhat passionate about, I can go on and on and write a novel. I've struggled with term papers that give me maximum page counts more than with minimums. Going back and cutting out the stuff I don't need is something I really dislike and have trouble with.

My best writing is done usually under pressure. It's not always the case, but I am generally happier with my last-minute writings, only because I don't have time to worry about whether or not it's good enough.

No comments: