Wednesday, September 27, 2006

real-life goldDIGGAS



my dad has a new hobby.

my dad likes some unusal hobbies- record collecting, match collecting, map collecting. now he has added gold panning to the list.



back in may, while going to vegas and visiting my aunt in bullhead city, we took a little side trip to tonopah, NV (basically in the middle of nowhere!). they had this festival, and they had free gold panning. i mentioned it here. my dad must have really become hooked then, because for labor day (when i was in nrocal) and while visiting my aunt again, my parents (plus my aunt) took another little trip to some other obscure little nevada town to bring home some gravel to pan at home. next thing you know, dad starts collecting all of this -

and starts surfing the net for gold panning information. he came across the gold panning association website, and discovered that you can pan for gold locally. so on sunday, we took a little drive up into the angeles national forest, to this stream and became real-life gold diggers.


of course, i had to tag along to take pictures.




(my mom joined in on the fun too)

it was hot (not excruciatingly hot, but the sun was hitting me all day long), i got really wet, my back hurt from hunching overand these bees kept chasing me. but 'twas fun. we brought back two buckets of dirt to go through at home (or shall i say, grandma's house. she has more room).

oh. and you're probably wondering we found gold....

yeah we did. a couple of these teeny tiny little flakes. from about 4 full buckets of gravel. apparently, the nuggets tend to be found right after it rains.

and i leave you with some random scenic shots -






good times.

9 comments:

linda b said...

oh
my
god
gold panning- LOLOLOLOL i love how you had to circle the gold flakes in that pic. =P
remember me when you're rich. i can't believe you brought home DIRT so you could pan at home.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Shirley said...

beautiful pictures! hope that you find some large nuggets soon! ;)

Kat said...

gold panning- love it!
we went on a fieldtrip wheni was in fifth grade to gold country. all i found was fools gold....

Chris-el-da said...

she take my money...

nadine said...

wow your dad is intense. look at him getting his shoes soaked! i want my dad to pick up a strange hobby!

michelleguray said...

how cool is that??!! and you actually found some! i love your scenery shots too!

Mara said...

fun pics!
you're a gold digga...
love it.

Rita said...

gorgeous photos and look at that GOLD you guys found! you gold digga you :-)

maggie Holmes said...

cool photos!!

love all your layouts too - as usual! you rock girl!!